1. If you are a new user, please register to get an Indico account through https://login.ihep.ac.cn/registIndico.jsp. Any questions, please email us at helpdesk@ihep.ac.cn or call 88236855.
2. The name of any uploaded file should be in English or plus numbers, not containing any Chinese or special characters.
3. If you need to create a conference in the "Conferences, Workshops and Events" zone, please email us at helpdesk@ihep.ac.cn.
24-27 April 2019
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Asia/Shanghai timezone

Visa Application

For most foreigners, you need a visa before visiting China. An easy way to do it is to apply for a tourist visa (strongly recommended). If for reasons you need a business visa or other types of visa, you can write to us for an appropriate invitation letter (see detailed information below) and specify what kind of visa you are applying for.

Please note that it is the conference attendee's responsibility to obtain an appropriate visa on time. The conference organizers will provide assistance (such as invitation letters) and suggestions during the process however please understand we are not associated with any visa office or agency and have no control of the outcome of the visa application process.

Applicants should initiate the process as early in their travel plans as possible, adequate time (> 1 month) should be allowed for processing visa applications.


Visa types

To travel to China, you may request a tourist (L) visa by submitting travel reservation information only, including itinerary and booked tickets to enter and exit the country. Typically nothing else is needed, and this is the simplest and fastest visa.

You can apply for a tourist visa of China all by yourself. Such visa is issued to foreigners for sightseeing and visiting relatives or any other personal affairs, it belongs to visa category “L”. We strongly recommend applying for a tourist visa to attend the conference (invitation letter is NOT required for "L" visa), all you need is an itinerary including round trip air ticket booking record and proof of a hotel reservation. Visa "L" is characterized by a short duration of stay, usually 30 days, no more than 90 days, and cannot be extended upon expiration (as of Spring 2011, it is possible to do an extension while in China, however the procedure is complicated and the renewal is subject to approval).

If you receive explicit instructions or orders to apply for a non-tourist visa, you will need an invitation letter from us (see below). As such, it may require more procedures/materials than the invitation letter itself and the situation varies from case to case, please consult with your local Chinese consulate/embassy or visa agency for detailed instructions.

You can go to the Chinese Embassies, Consulates and other Chinese diplomatic missions to submit application in person. If you can't come personally, you can entrust someone, a travel agency or a visa agency to act on your behalf. Applications directly sent to Chinese embassies and consulates by mailing are usually not accepted. No appointment is required for tourist visa application.

Please refer to the official webpage of  Chinese Embassy or Consulates in your country for the most up-to-date procedure and requirement, some links are provided below for your convenience and for information purpose only. At the last link, we provide an example of a commercial service organization who may provide additional assistance in applying the Chinese visa ("Chinese Visa Application Service Center").

1. Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the United States of America
2. Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
3. Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Switzerland
4. Botschaft der Volksrepublik China in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
5. Ambassade de la Republique Populaire de Chine en Republique Francaise
6. Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of Italy
7. Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Japan
8. Chinese Visa Application Service Center

Foreigners who intend to go to China for exchanges, study tours, sports, and other non-business activities may apply for an F visa, which requires an invitation letter from Shanghai Jiao Tong University. For detailed information, please ask embassy/consulate visa offices.



To apply for a Chinese visa, the following items are needed: 


1. A passport which is valid for at least six months following the date of submission, with an entire blank page available for the visa.
2. A completed Visa Application Form of the People's Republic of China.
3. One recent, 2 inch full-faced and bareheaded passport photo (photo copy or digital photo printed on ordinary paper will not be accepted).
4. Other related application materials deemed necessary by the visa officer.


Invitation letter

A registered attendee may request an invitation letter by emailing fcppl2019@ihep.ac.cn . Please indicate your request with an email subject line "SJTU-invitation-letter". Please also include the following information:


1. Name as it appears in your passport
2. Position and Institution
3. Passport number
4. Gender
5. Nationality
6. Birth date
7. Arrival and depart dates                                                                                                                 8
The name of the embassy you plan to apply for a visa
9. Address to receive hard copy (if requested)

A letter of invitation for the conference will be sent in PDF format to the supplied email address. If you need an original hard copy, please notify fcppl2019@ihep.ac.cn.

Please be advised that the invitation letter is to assist you in your visa application to attend the workshop. SJTU is not responsible for the issuance of a visa. You are advised to submit your visa application to the appropriate authorities as early as possible.